How I think I want to use my degree and why

 Humanitarian Forensics

My goal is to do Humanitarian Forensic. I want to focus working near the border, where people come to the US. I would like to sculpt faces for the bodies that are found in the desert. This is because DNA is not possible. especially if there is no one looking for the person (to get a mtDNA test). Most of the time is because people are afraid to get in trouble. I would like to help creating a source open to the public. There, they can see the pictures of the faces of the people found. That way, it might be easier to step in and help to bring closure. 

So far, I've been looking into the Red Cross for this job. The ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross) requires people to have a minimum of a Masters to be an intern or work there. 

At the moment, I will look for a forensic technician after graduation or similar. I might get my Masters right after college, but I'm not sure yet. For the time being, I was accepted to volunteer in Investigations for the Office of Medical Examiner of Maricopa. With that, my work at Dr. Weidner's lab, my two jobs, and the two majors, I barely have time to practicing sculpting faces. Hopefully, I should have way more time during the winter break. 

The reason why I want to do this is because I have family members and friends who are immigrants. They share stories of crossing the border. I seen how people suffer without knowing if their love ones still alive or not. These people jump into this dangerous journey to get a better future to their families. As a daughter of immigrant parents, I know what that means and feels. That is why I would like to help in the border.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Protein: Q13231 (CHIT1)

CULTURAL INTELLIGENCE

First Day! Streak Method, Gram Stain Test and Microscope.