Networking

For my class I connected with a mentor and attended NCUIRE symposium. 

I learned that networking is approaching people first by asking about their work before asking for help. Also, the two most important aspects of networking is to listen to the person you connect with and to keep in contact with that person. 

Personally, I prefer to connect in person. In person, the conversation flows more naturally. Also, one doesn't have to wait for an answer for few days. However, the major reason why I dislike connecting online is because is harder for me to communicate through an email/text. I overthink my words, and I might not see grammar errors. Finding the balance between a long email and a pretty short one is complicated. It makes me wonder if the person might feel bored or confused about my words. 

In April, I attended a conference in Seattle. There, I was able to network with multiple people. However, I found it harder to connect with people close to my age. Mostly, I felt like I had nothing to bring to the conversation. Luckily, with the help of some classmates, I was able to be part of their conversations. 

It was easier to network in the NCUIRE symposium. Most of the people in this event were students from West campus. Also, I knew some of the people who also participated in the symposium. I met their research partners, and I talked to people who were interested in my research. 

Some tips that might help people to network, especially introvert people like me, is to ask people about their work. It is easier to start a conversation if one inquiry about people's job, work, ideas, etc. Also, showing interest helps to keep the conversation going. Once there is more familiarity, it is easier to ask questions (if you're shy). Finally, sending emails and keeping contact is important. 



My poster in NCUIRE "Oviposition preference of Chrysomya rufifacies"

My poster in NCUIRE "Oviposition preference of Chrysomya rufifacies"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Protein: Q13231 (CHIT1)

CULTURAL INTELLIGENCE

First Day! Streak Method, Gram Stain Test and Microscope.