BLOG 2, LSC 394 (Spring 2021)

 MY MAJOR: FORENSIC ANTHROPOLOGIST

TOPICS IN FORENSICS:


Three years ago, I did not know much about my career. I knew that involved autopsies. Also, I knew I needed to have a strong stomach—primarily because of the smell. 

I just started to take forensic classes. So far, I’ve taken two courses: Introduction to Forensic Anthropology and Sociology of Murder. The laws behind every procedure are what surprised me (and also scared me). For instance, I taught an autopsy is an obligatory procedure in every death. However, there are different types of autopsies. In clinical autopsies, an autopsy is performed in a specific part of the body (not all the body). 

Before I started this Major, I wanted to go to Medical school for Forensic Pathologist. However, I learned that now forensic anthropologists are being trained more. They don’t just work with bones but also decomposed corpses. After learning about this field, I decided to switch to this one.
I thought that just identifying every organ in the body and doing facial reconstruction were advanced topics. However, when I searched for new techniques in forensics, I was impressed with what I found. For instance, Forensic scientists at the University of Portsmouth discovered a new way of presenting fragile evidence. They use 3D printing to reconstruct burn bones, there still testing it to see if they can be presented as evidence in court. 


I feel like this reminds me that you never stop learning. You can be left behind if you’re not researching your field almost every day. 

NEW TOPICS I WANT TO LEARN:

I want to learn facial reconstruction before I graduate from ASU (2 years from now). This one of my primary goals when I decided to focus on this field. ASU doesn’t have figurative art classes. However, I always mention my goals in every class. Thus, I focus on sculpting the human body. Now, I’m in contact with a graduate student who taught an anatomy sculpture at ASU. He is the one who gives me feedback. There is also an online course on facial reconstruction. I’m planning to take it this summer.

Once I can sculpt faces from photos and in person, I will look for a person whose job is this. I heard that there is a teacher at ASU who was (or is) a forensic artist. I want to ask for their help.

In three years, I want to be skilled enough to find a part-time job in this. At the moment, I prefer to be a forensic technician while I do my Masters. That is why I’m not aiming to have a full-time job in facial reconstruction. 

Pictures of what I've learned so far:









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Protein: Q13231 (CHIT1)

CULTURAL INTELLIGENCE

First Day! Streak Method, Gram Stain Test and Microscope.